In the hustle culture we live in, it is easy to get caught up in the vicious cycle of more. Do more. Work more. Change more. Rushing forward as we do, we forget to stop and celebrate our success, however small. While we can be harshly critical of ourselves if we fail to stick to a new habit, we can be equally dismissive when we do stick to it, as if success in changing was the most natural thing to expect. It is not.
Celebrating your new-habit accomplishments provides positive reinforcement to your effort and is likely to motivate you further. Consider it a confidence booster, a way to create a positive mindset or a token of gratitude to you. Here are a few suggestions for celebrating your successful habit change:
- Treat yourself to something you really appreciate and enjoy
- Share your success story with others
- Take some precious ‘Me time’
- Write down a list of what you did well and hang it in your bathroom
- Buy yourself a small, meaningful gift
Do not wait for some huge achievements to celebrate. You are celebrating because you are successfully changing your habits. You are celebrating because of who you are becoming.